[Scid-users] scid 4.6.4 ported to OpenBSD 6
Francisco Gaitan
2016-09-23 11:18:47 UTC
Hello.

I have made a port for scid 4.6.4 to work in OpenBSD. If you are interested in this feel free to contact me off-list.

Although I get some warnings about strcpy() and strcat() use, the program runs nice in OpenBSD simply removing -std=c++11 to compile.

Download: http://37.252.122.117/downloads/scid.tar.gz

Thank you for your work, I love this program.

Best regards,
Francisco.

Fulvio
2016-09-23 16:09:02 UTC
Post by Francisco Gaitan
Although I get some warnings about strcpy() and strcat() use, the program runs nice in OpenBSD simply removing -std=c++11 to compile.
Many thanks for the porting.
I'm surprised that there is no support for c++11; I did a quick search:
https://www.openbsd.org/60.html
and if gcc is version 4.9.3 it should work:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9.3/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html#C-Dialect-Options

I just want to emphasize that removing the -std=c++11 disable
multi-threading and some functions may be slower.
Also, it can be removed automatically using the configure script with:
./configure THREADS=""
followed by the usual
make

Thanks again,
Fulvio

Francisco Gaitan
2016-09-23 20:40:20 UTC
Post by Fulvio
Post by Francisco Gaitan
Although I get some warnings about strcpy() and strcat() use, the program runs nice in OpenBSD simply removing -std=c++11 to compile.
Many thanks for the porting.
https://www.openbsd.org/60.html
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9.3/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html#C-Dialect-Options
I just want to emphasize that removing the -std=c++11 disable
multi-threading and some functions may be slower.
./configure THREADS=""
followed by the usual
make
Thanks again,
Fulvio
Thank you for the information and the interest shown. In OpenBSD 6, GCC 4.9.3 is in section 'Ports and packages'. Base system uses GCC 4.2.1 + patches as indicated below in that page.

It would be very interesting to pledge() this program, this only requires a few lines of code. Unfortunately I don't have the required programming knowledge yet, but with a bit of luck maybe someone could pick the port and make a patch.

I share with you this presentation about this security feature: https://www.openbsd.org/papers/hackfest2015-pledge/mgp00001.html

Best regards,
Francisco.