[Scid-users] Some questions
Mika Kaakinen
2017-04-24 05:08:59 UTC
Thank you for Scid. It has a lot of features. I like nearly everything
about it.

I have some suggestions/questions:

1. Is there a way to make menu toolbar (File, Play, Edit, Game etc.) font
larger? Now a least for me it is slightly too small. If not a way, could
you implement it?

2. Is there a way to use own opening books? Where to put them and which
format to use? Is .bin allowed? Does have an own opening book installed and
if so where it is located?

3. Does Scid have endgame tablebases installed? If so where they are
located and which format do they use?

These are my questions.

You have made a good software! Thank you.

And developing software is a good job. Challenging, but not too difficult
or theoretical IMHO. And not too rudimentary either. Just perfect.

Greetings,

Mika Kaakinen

RiihimÀki, Finland
Fulvio
2017-04-26 09:39:58 UTC
I'm glad you like Scid and find it useful.
I'll try to answer to your questions.

1) If you are using Windows, you can use the control panel to set the
size of the menu's font:
http://www.simplehelp.net/2016/03/21/how-to-increase-the-size-of-the-menu-bars-in-windows-10/

2) Even if there is a tool for polyglot books in Scid:
https://sourceforge.net/p/scid/wiki/TheBookWindow/
the code is old and not developed/supported anymore.
To create your own opening book you can use Scid to create a pgn
database containing the games for the book and then use directly the
native tool (polyglot for .bin books).
Just to avoid misunderstandings, opening books are (were?) used with
chess engines.
If you want to create a repertoire book for you own chess games the
right tool is probably a "mask":
https://sourceforge.net/p/scid/wiki/HowToUseMasks/

3) The Scid's code for Nalimov tablebases is also no longer
developed/supported anymore.
Chess engines are now used to access tablebases.
For example the open source engine Stockfish can read Syzygy Tablebases.
Engines' options are configured in Scid with tools->analysis
engine->edit->configure UCI engine.

Bye,
Fulvio
Post by Mika Kaakinen
[...]