[Scid-users] questions about ratings.ssp
Volker Pittlik
2017-03-07 18:51:52 UTC
It seems to me the ratings.ssp hasn't been updated for some time (more
than two years to be exactly). I'm working on a small python program
what reads the monthly ratings published by FIDE and updates the
ratings.ssp with that data.

If have some questions about that:

There is a copyright statement in the file "ratings.ssp" ("Copyright (C)
2001-2015. Franz Nagl Heinz van Saanen", maybe these people are reading
here). Of course I can update ratings.ssp for my own. But I want to
avoid trouble if my script will ever do it's job so good that I can
publish the updated result. I could create a complete new ratings.ssp
based on the data published by FIDE but that would be a lot of more work
what is not necessary. At least I hope so.

Also I would to make sure my assumptions about the format of
"ratings.ssp" are correct. Would someone here be so kind to answer some
more detailed questions about these topics? If I missed a description of
the format of ratings.ssp please let me know where I can find it.

Regards

Volker Pittlik
(***@gmail.com)
f***@libero.it
2017-03-07 20:53:23 UTC
at the beginning of the file ratings.spp there is the description of the
format (it is common with the spelling.spp).
The lines with elo informations are very simple:
%Elo YEAR:ELO_1PERIOD,ELO_2PERIOD,ELO_3PERIOD,... YEAR:ELO_1PERIOD,...

Feel free to ask if you have any further doubt.
There is also a compile flag that can be activated.
If you compile Scid with:
mkdir spell && cd spell
cmake -DSPELLCHKVALIDATE=ON ..
make

the ratings.spp file will be checked when opened and eventual errors will be
written to a ratings.spp.validate file.

Bye,
Fulvio