[Scid-users] Creating a database
Hugh Tassell
2017-02-21 17:49:20 UTC
Hi

I have just downloaded Scid and I am navigating my way around it. I would like to load my own games in a separate database, but I cannot see how to add another database in addition to the Example 1 and Example 2 databases.

I would be grateful for any help here!

Hugh Tassell
Werner Haas
2017-03-07 22:26:24 UTC
Hello Hugh,
I have just downloaded Scid and I am navigating my way around it.  I would
like to load my own games in a separate database, but I cannot see how to
add another database in addition to the Example 1 and Example 2 databases.
Create a new database: "File" --> "New" --> [write] "my_new_database".

You have now an open database with the name "my_new_database". That
database is at the moment empty.

You have different ways to get your own games into this database.

1. Menue "Database" --> "Import File(s) of PGN Games ..." --> Select a pgn
file with your games.
The files will be imported into your new database.

2. Open your pgn file as database: "File" --> "Open" --> Select your pgn
file.

Now you have two databases open: "my_new_database" and the pgn file with
your games.
When you open the database switcher (either with menue "Windows" -->
"Database Switcher" or with the shortcut "CTRL + D") you see both
databases plus the clipboard.

You also see how many games there are in the different databases.

If you leftclick now on your pgn file the arrow of your mouse changes into a
double arrow. Keep the leftclick and drag the mouse over to "my_new_database" and release the mouse.

You'll get the message: "Do you really want to copy ... filtered games in the database [your pgn file] to
the database "my_new_database"?"

If you answer with "OK" all the games from the pgn file will be copied
into your new database.

This method is more flexible than the first one, because you can filter
your games before you copy them.

[To filter your games use "Search" --> and for example "Header". After
filtering you can copy a special part of your games, maybe all games you
played as white.]

3. Make sure "my_new_database" is active.
You can see that if you choose the menue "Database". On the bottom of the list that opens, you can
see your open databases. There is a dot in front of the active database.
With "Edit" --> "Paste Clipboard text as PGN game ..." you can do just
that. Past the game information in the frame and use Import "(Alt-I)" to
import the game.

Hope that helps

Werner
Hi